Who We Represent
The Summerville Firm represents both plaintiffs and defendants in trial and appellate courts, both directly and by consulting with lawyers or associating with them on cases. The firm has substantial plaintiff's side experience with medical malpractice, wrongful death, and similar personal injury cases, as well as with litigating fraud and breach of fiduciary duty relating to the conduct of insurance representatives, doctors, nurses, pharmacies, and their corporate employers. The firm also litigates consumer actions, including class actions, on behalf of plaintiffs. In 2017 alone, the Summerville Firm helped recover and protect judgments and settlements totaling over $86,000,000 for their clients.
The Summerville Firm also works with small businesses and their owners to protect their interests in commercial litigation, including contract and partnership disputes, and business-breakup litigation.
Among their appellate wins are...
- Atlanta Ocuplastic Surgery, P.C. v. Nestlehutt: successfully obtained the trial court Order, and Supreme Court decision, overturning Georgia’s medical malpractice damages “cap,” a key feature of so-called “tort reform,” on constitutional grounds
- Amicus and argument counsel in Smith v. Finch: eliminating so-called “hindsight” charge, a misleading and confusing jury instruction adverse to plaintiffs
- Amicus and argument counsel in Condra v. Atlanta Orthaepedic Group: abolishing longstanding rules as to cross-examination of experts in Georgia civil cases
- Seven other appellate cases in which trial losses were reversed in appellate courts, each resulting in an ultimate verdict or settlement
- Several appeals affirming certifications of class actions throughout Georgia, resulting in settlements in excess of $80,000,000
And, in trial courts they have...
- Helped win a jury verdict of $26,000,000 in Muskogee County, the largest jury verdict in that county's history.
- Helped win a jury verdict of $12,000,000 in Hamilton County, Tennessee, the largest verdict in county’s history by many multiples, and first medical malpractice verdict in eleven years
- Settled nursing home litigation in Fulton County State Court, believed to be largest settlement of a nursing home wrongful death case in the country’s history at that time
- Settled a fraud/racketeering case against insurance company for failure to disclose applicable umbrella policy for over four times the policy limits
- Been retained as testifying expert in professional malpractice matters, including statute of limitation disputes in the employment arena